FAQs - Wine Grape Testing Rebate

1. What does the rebate cover?

The rebate entitles you to claim a reimbursement if you have paid for your wine grapes, grape juice or wine samples to be tested by a laboratory for smoke exposure.

2. When do I need to test my grapes in order to get the rebate?

Samples need to be submitted for testing between 1 January 2020 and 30 April 2020.

3. Who can apply for the rebate?

Victorian wine grape growers including wineries that grow their own grapes. Regional Wine Associations and wineries may also apply where they have a pre-existing agreement with growers to test grapes.

4. I own or operate a winery who does not grow grapes. Am I eligible for the rebate?

Owners or operators of wineries may not apply for the rebate for testing of grapes that have been purchased from another grower unless there is a prior agreement between the grower and the winery that such grapes will be tested by the winery.

5. How much is the rebate?

Up to $1,200 per business can be reimbursed.

6. When should I apply for the rebate?

Applicants should pay all invoices for smoke testing before submitting their application. Rebates will be paid to eligible applicants after they have paid laboratory invoices. Applications should be made as soon as possible after all invoices have been received.

7. How many tests does the rebate cover?

One rebate of up to $1,200 will be offered per business. Applicants who have had more than one batch of samples analysed should submit all supporting documentation in one application. Please do not submit multiple applications.

8. What evidence do I need to claim the rebate?

To apply for the rebate, applicants must complete the Wine Grape Testing Rebate application form and submit it together with the supporting documentation including evidence of location in Victoria, evidence of payment to the relevant laboratory and evidence of meeting the qualifying period.

9. I am a regional association that would like to claim the rebate. What should I do?

Regional wine associations need to complete the application and provide a statutory declaration that testing has been undertaken and paid for by agreement with eligible growers for grapes grown by the growers.

The statutory declaration must include the following details of the growers with whom the Association, winery or company has a prior agreement:

  1. Name of grower
  2. Grower’s business name
  3. Grower’s business address
  4. Grower’s ABN
  5. Number of samples submitted for each grower

10. What companies can test my grapes for smoke exposure?

Australian Wine Research Institute (South Australia) and/or Vintessential Laboratories (Victoria)

11. I grow my own grapes and buy grapes from others. What can I claim a rebate on?

Applicants who both grow their own grapes and buy in grapes may claim a rebate only for testing of their own grapes.

12. I am a Victorian wine grape grower who also grows grapes outside Victoria. Can I claim a rebate on my grapes grown outside Victoria?

Samples from grapes grown outside Victoria are not eligible for the rebate.

13. I have applied for the rebate. When will I receive it?

Rural Finance processes applications in date order. Applications are reviewed on a case by case basis, and applicants will be contacted if further information is required. Completed submissions are usually assessed and paid within two weeks.  

14. I am a grower and have agreed with my customer/a winery that they will have my grapes tested. I have received an invoice for testing from the winery. What should I do?

Applicants should pay the invoice from the winery and then submit a copy of it with their application for the rebate. Where possible, applicants should also obtain copies of laboratory reports from the winery and submit these as supporting documentation.